Tuesday 26 April 2011

Cookies for Breakfast?!

For the past year and a half I have been commuting to Oakville for work. During this time I have been constantly looking for a convenient breakfast option that is easy, tasty and not full of garbage. I have finally found it:

The Breakfast Cookie.
I found this recipe on Canadian Living and have tweaked it to suit my taste and pantry. You could make endless variations of this cookie. When I was substituting I kept in mind the original ingredient and tried to match the texture and consistency.

What I used to make one batch of 36 cookies:

2 eggs
½ cup liquid honey
¼ cup butter, melted
1 cup grated carrot, packed
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I have a sensitivity to nuts so did not use walnuts)
½ cup dried cranberries (instead of raisins)
½ cup finely chopped apricots
½ cup chopped dates
½ cup chopped dried apple
1 cup all purpose flour (this time I used whole wheat)
1 cup minute oats
¾ tsp of cinnamon
¾ tsp of nutmeg
½ tsp of baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup of granola (instead of cereal Os)

Preheat your oven to 350 F with the rack set at the top and bottom thirds.
Next, line your baking sheets with parchment paper, I used tin foil as I never seem to remember to pick up parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, the honey and the melted butter until smooth. Then add the carrots, the coconut, the cranberries, the apricots, dates and the dried apple. Using a large spoon mix everything together until everything is wet.




In a smaller bowl combine the flour, the oats, the cinnamon, the nutmeg and the salt. Once mixed together stir in the granola.


Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix together well till all the flour mixture is incorporated.



Spoon out about 1 tbsp of batter and form it into a ball. I make mine about the size of a two bite brownie. Place them about 1” from each other on the cookie sheets. You should be able to fit about 12 per sheet.



Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes , until they are slightly browned and are firm to the touch. I put two cookie sheets in the oven at once switching racks after 8 minutes, then leave them in for another 8 mins.




Once they are done, remove them from the cookie sheet with a lifter and place them on a rack to cool. When they have completely cooled place them in an air tight container. They will keep for a few days on the counter, a week in the fridge and two weeks in the freezer.
These little cookies really pack a punch and you will be surprised that you are full after only two.

1 comment: